What is Baptism?
THE IMPORTANCE OF BAPTISM Baptism is an external picture of an internal change. It is a symbol of something that has already happened. Pastor Zak calls baptism “your going public with your faith day.” WHY BE BAPTIZED?
- It identifies me with Christ in His death and resurrection. Colossians 2:12
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian. Being baptized in front of people is an amazing way to illustrate your new life in Christ. You’re letting everyone know about your decision to follow Him. Romans 6:4; 2 Corinthians 5:17
- It demonstrates my obedience to Christ. John 14:15
HOW SHOULD I GET BAPTIZED? At Revolution Church, we baptize people by immersion, that is, placing a person under the water. Why do we do it this way?
- Jesus was baptized by immersion. Matthew 3:16.
- Every Baptism in the New Testament was done by immersion. Acts 8:38-39
The New Testament was originally written in Greek and later translated into English. The Greek word “baptizo” means to immerse under water. So when the writers used the word “baptize,” they were literally talking about placing people under the water. WHEN DO I GET BAPTIZED? Every instance of Baptism in the New Testament occurred after the person had become a believer. Therefore, our practice for Baptism is that every person should be baptized after they have believed in Christ. Acts 2:41 WHAT ABOUT CHILDREN GETTING BAPTIZED? Some churches practice a “Baptism of Confirmation” for children by sprinkling them. This covenant between the parents and God to raise their children in the faith began as a custom some three hundred years after the Bible was completed. While the Bible certainly does not forbid this practice, we don’t think it has the same meaning as being baptized after you have decided to follow Jesus. We will dedicate children to God around Mother’s Day each year. As a church, we partner with parents to raise their children in a way that honors God. We want to stand with parents to dedicate their children to God, pray for them throughout their lives, and see them come to the place where they decide to follow Jesus for themselves and get baptized! Click here to download this info as a PDF